A sweep appointment today showed up some very interesting results, caused by slumbering a stove. Slumbering is the term for when a fire is burning at a low rate to keep it going by restricting the oxygen flow, for example, overnight. This can cause problems, as the smoke and chemicals released condense and can block the flue, and also potentially shorten the life of the stove and/or liner. Most importantly, you should never leave a fire unattended!
The photos here show a build-up of creosote and soot, not just in the chimney but on the stove door glass and inside too. Lumps of creosote deposits were also removed – these show a bubbling effect caused by extremely high temperatures which is a sure sign that there has been a fire within the chimney (and the homeowner wasn’t aware).
Simple message – don’t slumber your stove. Dampen it down, but allow it to breathe and make sure it is out fully, and then start fresh the next day! Oh, and get your chimneys swept at least once a year by a qualified sweep! For more information or advice, contact us today.