Can I burn plastic items on my fire?
Burning plastics on open fires and in stoves or wood burners is highly dangerous.
That pretty colourful flame you get might look great when you burn a crisp packet, but this is the result of releasing a cocktail of toxic poisons, which are harmful to humans, pets, wildlife and the environment at large.
Did you know these toxins can actually survive for many years in the environment? At a time where saving the planet is a top priority, it is essential we consider what we burn on our fires and in stoves.
Potential health effects:
- Can cause reproductive disorders
- Impact our immunity systems (which reduces our ability to fight infections)
- Increase respiratory problems (breathing)
- Can cause a variety of cancers – this is extreme but has to be taken into consideration. See Wikipedia for more on this as we are not experts, we simply want to highlight any potential risks, however small!
Despite these risks, us chimney sweeps still see customers who burn everything and anything on their fires, including plastics.
Read more about toxins from plastics and how they can affect all of us from the Guild of Master Sweeps here.