We see a lot of stoves suffering from the effects of being used to burn all sorts of materials including cardboard, wrapping paper, envelopes, food wrappers and much more! This can cause unnecessary build-up on the glass door, and things like paper burn very quickly with the flames going into the flue, igniting any potential creosote build-up. It can damage bricks and rope, and coloured paper or materials contain chemicals which can give off toxic fumes.
Our message is don’t do it. Only use well seasoned wood and kindling or firelighters and newspaper to get the fire going. It will keep you safe and your wood burner and chimney will be more effective in the long run.